Monday, June 30, 2008

My Fantasy.

I can't remember where it came from. It was either from anime movies like Princess Mononoke, or Howl's Moving Castle, or maybe from Star Wars Episode II : Clone Wars, or even from The Lord Of The Rings movies. Or maybe it was from that beautiful Alps painting from Amelia's old home, back in Kuantan. Or maybe it derived from that big big field behind my brother's old house in Ermington, Sydney where only when you squint your eyes hard enough, can you see beyond the great field of green. But there is always this picture of a field of grass in my head, the one place I have been looking for in my fantasy.

I'm sure I can find that field of grass, ever present in my reveries somewhere in New Zealand, or maybe Canada, or more likely in the vast lands of Europe I know so scarce about...but more recently, it materialized best in the form of a place I came across while I was looking at "Field of Grass wallpapers" in google - Tyrol, Austria.

In my head, the grass are not too tall, maybe around my knees, maybe shorter. And it extends as far as your sight can stretch - best if there are mountains in view, laced with white snow on the peaks. There's wind, but only occasional gentle breeze in unison with the swaying of random patches of grass here and there. It's not cold there. But the wind carries a cool, refreshing zephyr from the mildew of the grass. I could see a great tree in view of the mountains, at the middle left corner of my sight. All in all, it encompassed a serenity that I think, is rare these days. A serenity I hope to one day, find and live in the remainder of my life. It's funny how I think this is what that gang of ruffians in Shaman King refer to as "Besto Pulayse" or "best place".

My best place is this field of grass. And my best bet is in Europe, more precisely - Austria.


"Misty Mountain Village"
Tyrol, Austria.

Google search "Misty Mountain Village" and you'll find this with ease.

Seeing this more and more, I found myself thinking about that anime Full Metal Alchemist. The setting and background of the anime seemed to describe a European tone. Maybe not Austria, but I remember the setting is more like in Germany. Look pass the chapel in the picture, and you can vaguely see houses with pre-modern European features. This place seemed to bear the closest semblance to any setting found in a fantasy story, where dragons roamed and wizards warred. But even more obvious, this place looked magical to me.

Maybe this is where I would find that elusive serenity. Or maybe elsewhere less discovered and ventured by the constant traveling photographer. Or maybe a place only found in my head. But whatever I can say to myself, Tyrol is definitely one of the places I would visit in the future.

I went on searching more pictures about this hauntingly serene place where the picture took life from, but I failed to see in others what this picture captured. I guess one picture is already enough to paint a thousand masterpiece, albeit by the painter in my head.

And that's where I want to leave my fantasy, for now.